Sunday, August 30, 2026

Modern Vehicle Issues.. I Went Down The Rabbit Hole On This Guy's Site..

 This guy is really good at showing the amount of work it takes to fix some of this stuff.

He appears to have a lot of knowledge AND a lot of patience.

These videos are well explained, even for the laymen..... 

 

 GM and Timing Belts:

 

 


 RAM Communications and diagnostic work:

 


 

 Link to his FB is HERE<

 

5 comments:

  1. It looks like this is going to be an interesting channel. I am convinced that GM has an entire branch of its engineering division devoted solely to making their stuff difficult to work on. I had a 1997 S-10 with the V6 and it took me about five hours to change its spark plugs and wires. It would have taken longer, but someone had cut holes in the passenger side fender liner so that I could reach them with a really long extension or three. The truck had been in an accident before I got it and the drivers side fender liner had been replaced. You shouldn't need to remove the wheels and use a drill and Sawzall to change spark plugs. (This is reminiscent of the 1973 Monza V8 in which one had to pull the engine to get to the #3 spark plug.) It also has a distributor with a poorly vented (or sealed) cap which gets wet every time the weather changes. Only vehicle I've ever had with that problem. It's a 1997. Why in the name of Robert Bosch does it even have a distributor? My 1997 Subaru Outback doesn't have one. Like the lubrication holes in the Lambo, GM is/was decades behind. I can pull the engine on one of my old Subarus quicker than I can change the spark plugs on that S-10. I don't own Subarus for political reasons. I own them because they don't need fixing very often and when they do, its not very hard. It certainly doesn't seem like I'm trying to negotiate a carefully-crafted obstacle course when I do need to work on one.

    A.W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next vehicle is going to be a pre-module vehicle. Heard way too many stories about new vehicles to want to deal with all the computer stuff involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this guy as my mechanic but I probably can't afford him.
    Shaking my head at "the cap goes bad at 33 miles". No, the cap is bad all the time and worse with heating up. Betcha the cap is creating noise and some data buffer somewhere is filling up with bogus data at 33 miles. He said "idling". Was it idling in gear on the lift for 33 miles or just idling sitting still? I'm not a mechanic but I've fixed stuff for a living so I know sometimes the weirdest shit happens.

    Spent three days on a problem; tech support guys gave up and said "when you find it, let us know". Somebody had removed a couple of turns of cable off of a hub trying to make a "thumper" hit harder or softer, not sure which. The hub was spinning. It ain't 'sposed to spin, it's just supposed to yank the cable a bit to jiggle the thumper. The spinning hub let the motor spin instead of thump. Spinning motor rotor and carbon brushes made electrical noise which made the controller lose count. Sometimes. Tech support said: "No effin' way! Huh." Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I'm a firm believer in making engineers perform maintenance and repairs on all prototypes in front of an audience of grizzled mechanics. Design approval by someone with callouses on their hands followed by systematic beatings is also acceptable.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...