Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Header Image Rabbit Hole...

 

Reader Steve sent an email the other day, inquiring about this image from the FFFF post

 

Dear Sir,
I enjoy viewing your website. Thank you for what you do!.
Could you please tell me what this picture is of? Where it is? You posted it on Friday March 11, 2022.

Thank you very much, Steve.

 


It was a cool photo that I felt would go well in the post. I actually thought it was CGI and never

gave a second thought after saving it to my set up folder. Last night, I got some time to research

a little more.  Google and Tineye didn't yeild any results. Looking at the photo a little closer 

there is some writing on the bottom. Aha!  



And... away we go....

 

This is the response I worked on for Steve.

 

Marius Kastečkas, the artist

From what I can find with some searches, he is from Lithuania and now lives in Ireland.

Here's a bunch of links you can enjoy

 


And Facebook


If you scroll down the facebook posts there is this one. He has a lot of other shots of it. 
 
 I believe that is where the image was taken.  ( I was wrong but there are some awesome shots 

of  both skelligs.  The Header image is Little Skellig.  More info at the end of the post )
 
 
 
 skellig.PNG

skellig michael and little skellig. Maybe?? 
 
( As noted I couldn't match the image or find the original so I kept going )
 
 
Steve had me on a deep rabbit hole run.
 
 I spent more time on his, the artist's,  facebook page and finally hit pay dirt.

Here it is. 
 
 Dunmore Head Dingle Ireland.  
 
Between this and the skellig's there is some amazing images.


 

Dunmore head.PNG 



Here's where the skelligs are:




and here is where Dunmore Head is:






You can zoom in, along the coast and see the outcropping in the photo.


https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1097933,-10.4631329,3a,86.9y,263.23h,62.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swzg12E4X_t_7I62r0wFk_Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en 


Enjoy.





15 comments:

  1. Kinda looks like a Star War's movie was shot here, the one where Luke is found...Last Jedi? Skellig Michael Island
    where Monks once lived, the stone huts and stone pathways etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that came up while I was searching the info on the skellig islands.

      Delete
  2. Donemore Head....isn't that where Kamala is from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Blasket islands off the Kerry coast and the Aran islands off the Galway coast, but a visit to Michael Skellig was too difficult to achieve for this old man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you really go the extra mile(s) for your readers Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this!

    I knew when I saw it that it was Ireland but could not quite remember put my finger on where exactly. It turns out that I saw it from a different aspect while walking the Dingle Loop some years ago. The Blaskets were in the background.

    Da Perfessor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not all Monks but christians who were preserving their faith during Muslim invasion. Imagine being these followers of Christ who would live in harsh, almost unbelievable conditions to preserve their religion. Iona was another refuge to preserve christianity. And here we are today, allowing perverts to groom our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I screwed a great opportunity. My Dad's cousin had a place for a few years in Dingle Ireland. He visited, my brother visited what did I do. I answered that question. Also had an aunt with a cabin on a lake in Alaska many years ago. You guessed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny. Ireland, the wondrous land that more people left than stayed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now THAT was lots of fun; thanks for the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...