Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Someone Postulated A Theory . Irish Does Science....

 

 On the issue of the cracked hose shut off. I thought it was crap and split when it hit the ground.

A comment by Anonymouse mentioned that it looked like it had frozen.. So..

I bought one today and set it up like it was back in the fall.

Ran the water, then shut off the nozzle.

Then shut off the valve and removed it from the hose.

It's now sitting at 0°F in the freezer.

 

More tomorrow.

 


 


 


There is a small bung of water between the valve and the spigot. We will find the weakest link.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes one must resort to destructive testing to learn what will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! The joys of destructive testing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stoked. Can't wait for the results. ( My threshold is low)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I hope my postulations are correct and that your test is rewarding. I've busted plenty of nozzles and sprayers over the years because the temps in NC will dip below freezing at night after a nice sunny day of hosing things. It could have been poor machining, weak materials or damaged from running it over but you mentioned it was cold and I just connected the dots. We'll see if it can be replicated. Ahh, science.
    -Tarheel

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first wife was into destructive testing in her marriage. I was a more resilient tool than I should have been but did break in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1998 My chinese laugh was setting up the parlor with drop hoses. 3/4 thread male x hose barb. The last hose- No water. ??? The barb had not been drilled at all.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I THOUGHT SCIENCE WAS JUST TRUSTING WHAT SOME NON-EXPERT TELLS YOU TO BE THE TRUTH. TRUST ANON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had those fail (without freezing) over the years. Some last a good long while, I think it's a combination of tolerance stacking/subtraction and poor or somewhat better materials. There 's more than one plant making those and they all have different "personalities".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say, "I'm gonna do a spearmint." My wife has learned to be afraid when I say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn inganeers, but Sig you do win the innerwebz comment of the day.

      Delete

Leave us a comment if you like...