Thursday, August 6, 2026

FYI…

 If I go missing while hiking, just let everyone know my last words were pspspsp..







21 comments:

  1. ...and that's why you should carry something whose caliber begins with 4, either two 4's or a 4 and a 5 while hiking or in the deep N.E. woods

    Nemo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your N.E. cities are more dangerous.

      Delete
    2. Ain't nothing wrong with 41 Mag or if you require semi 41AE

      Delete
    3. a 410............make sure to use worcestershire sauce on yourself first before using the 410.
      and file off that metal notch at the end of the barrel so it does not hurt so bad when kitty shoves it up your rear..

      Delete
  2. That’s good advice but I think i can get by with my .357. I saw a similar kitty in northeast Connecticut a few years ago. It was quite distinctively different from the bobcats we see a few times a month. CT DEP insisted I was wrong and must have seen a dog. I was not wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NY and VT insist that there are no Mountain Lions up here either.
      Yet every year there are people that spot them.
      One of which is my friend in West Rupert, Vermont.
      My wife saw one less than a 1/4 mile from our house.
      Not just passing glances either. Full on stared at them for minutes.

      Leigh
      Whitehall, NY

      Delete
    2. They tell us the same thing down here about big cats. The USDA (Forest Service) and the state Fish & Game's official line is, "they do not exist here". They have backed off that mantra big time in the last few years in regards to bears. There are too many photographed sightings (cell phones, doorbell and game cameras). I have seen an eastern cougar here and their tracks. It is easy for me to differentiate between bobcats and lions. I know several trustworthy people who have seen them. I have seen two big longtailed cats (what people here call Black Panthers) in my lifetime. I got a good look at one through binoculars while turkey hunting twenty years ago. It looked like a scaled down Puma. Their track is larger than a big bobcat, but not as large as mountain lion (aka Panther, Cougar, etc.)

      Delete
    3. They also said there weren't any wolves around here until people started shooting them. Then it was, "we'll put you in jail for shooting the critters that don't exist".
      I saw one at 100 yards that made the coyote he was following look the size of a poodle.

      Hell, my town even has a law that it is illegal to shoot "Bigfoot".
      Friggin' Whitehall.
      I'm tellin' ya.......

      Leigh
      Whitehall, NY

      Delete
  3. And not "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty"?
    -lg

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last time I ran into a Cougar while hiking was when she was 5' 10", blond, 41 years old in a tank top and daisy dukes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fished the back woods of the Black Hills for trout for many years while in the service. The creeks are slippery and I would normally break at least one rod every year. On occasion I would see a lion. Some said if you saw one you didn’t see the other one. I talked to my mom about it on the phone and she was insistent I start carrying a weapon so I packed a S&W MP9 with hollow points. I don’t know if that would have stopped any lion but it might stop one. Not long after my mom mailed me an article she cut out of a magazine explaining most people who were attacked never saw the lion that got them. Made me wonder. . .I still went fishing. . . and still carry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rt.111 on the way to kingston NH there are some power lines. about 10 years back my mom insisted she saw a cat the size of our golden retriever, yellow, with a long tail with a white tip and a black spot. she said it was running fast but she got a clear look at it and it wasn't a dog, or even some sort of short-faced dog like a boxer.

    NH department of fish and game insists there are no mountain lions in NH. the last mountain lion killed in NH is on display at the Woodman Institute in dover, NH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBQhpzCO6g

    if you're into weird museums the woodman institute is worth going to. there is a bird exhibit where probably about 10% of the birds are listed as "unknown" and the location it was collected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a museum? Who knew!?
      I'll have to visit sometime.
      Toxic Deplorable B Woodman

      Delete
    2. the Damm Garrison out behind the museum is one of the oldest still standing structures in NH

      and yes, they built it Damm good.

      Delete
  7. A mountain lion in Rochester, NY ? Check out the 10 second mark :

    https://youtu.be/nNUqVCptf2s?si=oOO2fhc-xm8I4TAk

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the Big Bend region of Texas, the park there regularly posts mountain lion warnings. Watch for them on trails and stay close to small children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like a state trapper once told me, "You may not see them, but they see you".
    Keep your head on a swivel, Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in north central Arkansas and like I have heard many times about Mountain Lions, the Fish and and Game dept. here denies that we have any in north central Arkansas, but the fine for killing one is $1K +. I have seen two in the past 10 years, these were Yellow - Tan, not Bobcats or Yellow Labs. Neighbors have seen the black ones, I call panthers. Most that are talked about have collars on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a breeding pair, and cubs, on the river bluffs of the Missouri River, near Waverly MO, in the late 80's. I made casts of the prints, had hair samples, and was very assuredly looking at one at too close. The Mo. Dept. of Conservation agent insisted it was Bobcat, as there were no such big cats around. Bobcats don't have tails as long as their body . Even after hundreds of game/trail cam photos, videos, and road kills, they still try to spin it as they're not here.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...