James Wesley Rawles of The Survivalist Blog fame posted a fitting tribute to blogger and commentator extraordinaire Ol' Remus. For those who knew Ol' Remus and followed, I do no have to explain. For both the un-initiated and once followers of Ol' Remus, fear not as Remus' family maintains his blogsite and many of his posts/commentaries are archived there. Rawles does an excellent job describing Ol' Remus and his style of writing. I could not add anything more that was not written by Rawles other than these links. Enjoy. Jeffery in Alabama
PS: Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but the article is dated 02/28/25. I just stumbled on it yesterday.
I miss the Woodpile Report.
ReplyDeleteI miss his writing, but, hey, a life can only last so long...
DeleteHallelujah! I had given up on archives being posted. Thanks for the link.
ReplyDeleteHallelujah! I had given up on the archives being posted. Thanks for the link.
ReplyDeleteSorry but I'm in a fatalist mood today. And all that writing and pontification did what? Yeah, I know it was edifying for some. But in the long run; the barbarians are raping der wimmins and the cucks are in a fetal position in the corner.
ReplyDeleteHis insights gave us all time to prepare.
DeleteYou don't warn of the comming storm so that the storm can be stopped.
No. So tired of views like this one. Sometimes - often most times - good things are done just for the sake of the good, and Remus' column was good. If one does not put good things out into the world around him, and absorb the good things in the world around them, then they begin to think like this poster, who seems to have forgotten, or perhaps never knew or accepted that in the end, the good prevails. The victory is already won, and losing that particular hope is one of the greatest of sins, and failings of men.
DeleteOl Remus was one of the originals. He had a keen and original insight into current events that I appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI keep the link to his site in my daily blog slog list in memoriam.
Nemo
Used to read the woodpile when I thought there was still hope for FUSA. Remus was always a good read. I have to say Steve is more right than wrong now. Bad things happen when good men do nothing.
ReplyDeleteI knew that Remus, Jerry P, and Acidman were human like the rest of us, and as such would one day be called home. What I did not realize was how much their passing would affect me. These wise gentlemen had become a regular and much anticipated part of my day... Chaos Manor & The Woodpile were the first things on my screen every day for almost 2 decades (Chaos Manor much longer than The Woodpile). The day Mr Pournelle died felt like I had lost a favorite uncle; I found myself in tears and very surprised at such an intense reaction. Three years later we lost Remus, and I found myself feeling much the same, more melancholy perhaps, and saddened that we had lost such an erudite philosopher, but with a similar empty place in my life. Without guys like this, I would not be the man I am today. They helped me order my thinking, analyze new info, and see through the bullshit the enemies of humanity (The Left) throw at us every single day.
ReplyDeleteThat was well said Jeb and much the same for me. I would be interested to know what other sites you visit these days to fill the void of Remus and the other guardians of reason now gone.
DeleteGrim's Hall (grimbeorn.blogspot.com), Kevin Baker's (smallestminority.org), although he only posts a few times a year at this point, Sarah Hoyt (accordingtohoyt.com), LSP (lonestarparson.blogspot.com), PawPaw (https://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com), all wonderful voices of reason in this most unreasonable place we live in. And obviously, Irish's! I would love to see any you know of as well.
DeleteThank you JebTexas. Keep the faith and "stay away from crowds"!
DeleteI saw it as well. It was finally cool to know where the picture avatar came from when I searched it. Smokin in a tobacco house not as dangrous as a fireworks house.
ReplyDeleteI then went back to the archive to reread some more of his wisdom. Grew envious of Mr. Rawls getting to converseate with the man as well, what a blessing.
Some have that magic touch. Gerard VanDerleun is another one that comes to mind.
DeleteGerard was a gem. His web offerings were sometimes two or three a day and the subject matter was vast. I wrote back and forth with him often. And even Remus would reply to me on occasion. His appreciation of fine art, photography and architecture was "Western Civilization - Leading the World Since 1,000 BC." Also loved his meme of the little girl from the 1950's on the phone saying to her mom... "Grandma says it's okay to be white!"
DeleteHe is missed, even today... May he rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteI miss Remus more than words can express.
ReplyDeleteHi Jeff and all!!,
ReplyDelete"10-4!!!!!!" I remember well.... sad when it all came to a close.... but, as we all know..... "Ain't none of us gonna' get outta' here ...."ALIVE!!!"
So we try to make the best of it and .... some of it have a good knack for the printed word and good thoughts.....
Many a night I was "up late"... cruisin' the "'Net" and readin' what he had to say!!
Audentes, Fortuna, Iuvat.....,
skybill
The Woodpile is just one of a number of blogs I wish I had read more of while they were current. The warning to not get started on his archives late at night was accurate. I started in the morning and then stopped 3 hours later.
ReplyDeleteOl Remus and Gerard VanDerleun were two I used to read every morning.
ReplyDelete45bpcr
I wish I had something to say, which is why I usually don’t comment or post on anything. But OH HOW I miss Ol’ Remus!! I look forward to the archive. Maybe it will inspire me to finally say something myself. I’ve never had the inclination because… well, I’m a chic and you guys can be tough. And frankly I’ve been around to hear what you all have to say. Ol’ Remus was one of the good guys! Alas, I’m not a guy. But he gave me faith that the good guys were still out there. And they weren’t gonna let anything bad happen to us gals. Hope springs eternal I guess.
ReplyDeleteNautical, you are welcome here for sure. We may be a little rough around the edges and a little immature but you’re among the good guys. Feel free to comment as you see fit. Thanks for stopping in.
DeleteStay away from crowds.
ReplyDelete-Ol Remus
Tom762
I wish I could post the meme Remus created with the adorable little girl on the phone, pigtails and bows, probably an old Western Electric phone ad Remus modified. It reads... "Grandma says it's okay to be white!" "Yes little one, dear old grandma is right. It's okay to be white, even though your parents, teachers, friends, the news media, politicians, advertisements, and movie stars tell you it's not. No, you're not the enemy of decent people in this world. No, you're not to blame for the stupidity and failure of others. You've been lied to and betrayed by everyone who should protect and encourage you. It's awesome to be white.
ReplyDeleteWESTERN CIVILIZATION... Leading the World Since 1,000 BC
Thank all of you, for the information I have been gifted today. I am humbled.
ReplyDeleteBear in Indy
Ol Remus was a daily read just like Knuckdragger, daily timewaister, Extexanwannabe, and here.
ReplyDeleteRemember Stay Away From Crowds
I had the great good-fortune of exchanging forty-plus emails with Remus Marsilvia between 8/13 and his most unfortunate demise in 7/20. For all his “ woodsy” charm, Remus ran high on the corporate ladder, working in industrial engineering in NA, Europe, and Scandinavia for a French outfit. On the other hand, he did marry his high school sweetheart. He came from a large family, his Father having eleven brothers and sisters. And Northern Appalachia was his greater family’s home (and Alabama). I began my first email to him with “Dear Fellow Old Guy “ and he responded in ninety minutes. If Remus had continued his earthly existence on this orb, I believe he would be 84 years of age. His wisdom, however, is timeless.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Delete