Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Way Back Wednesday, Reader Jim Asked If He Could Share His Girl......

 

My path to this 1970 Mustang started when I got an HO slot car set for Christmas in 1966.  One of the cars was a Mustang and for some reason I stuck with that car as my favorite throughout my life.  Now my Dad didn’t really have a favorite brand.  he had a Pontiac, Dodge, Chevy, Buick, Ford and Plymouth.  Whatever caught his fancy for the $ he had to spend.  He never bought new but always enjoyed a visit to the dealers to look over what’s there. There was one time where we were at the AMC dealer and we looked over a Purple AMX in the showroom and I hoped he’d get it, but of course that didn’t happen.  Hard to fit a family of 6 (at that time) into barely a 5 seater.   The 1-car garage, which he built and later expanded to 2, was his refuge from everyday life.  He would tinker, clean, polish & replace what needed to be done.  My best memory of this time frame in the garage was when he did a valve job on a 390 in a 169 Ford wagon.  Took the top-end off and brought the heads to a local machine shop (remember those?) and had it buttoned up by Sunday evening.  By senior year of HS I wanted a car, specifically a Mustang.  I found a 69 Mach 1 with a 390 auto at a used car lot, rusty (Illinois salt) and noisy (glass packs), that was shot down. My next find was an orange 70 Mach 1, 4-speed 351 Cleveland.  I couldn’t take e it for a test drive, so Dad & I went to look it over. He nixed that as it was more than we was willing to loan me.  A guy has to try.  Then one day I was at work and he called to tell me he found a Mustang in the local Trading Times (remember those weekly papers?) and was going to look at it.  He who has the $$ controls all.  When I got home a1969 Burnt Orange Mustang Sports roof 302 auto was in the driveway. It was $1300, which I paid back over a few months.  I made good money working at the local Grocery chain store.  I installed a dual exhaust from JC Whitney on it and rattle canned my interpretation of Boss 302 stripes on it.  This lasted less than a year due to a co-worker was selling his blue 1970 Mustang 428 SCJ with 3:91 gears.  Now at that time this car was well know to car guys.  What an opportunity!  I was lucky to sell my 69 Mustang within a few days and took possession of my next Mustang.  Well, actually, I didn’t take possession until Dad drove it home.  Ya’ see it’s a stick and I didn’t know how to drive stick.  So, he pulls it into the driveway and I proceeded to learn how to drive stick on a 428 CJ Mustang with a HEAVY clutch and low gears.  I drove up and down the driveway to get to the point where I didn’t stall it out or chirp the tires when starting.  A lot of fun in that car.  Visited Union Grove and left with a 14.95 time slip.  Rebuilt the engine due to a freeze plug rusting out. Drove it to Road America in 1973 and was in a parade lap for track workers (via a friend who was one).  Saw Mark Donahue drive the 917-30 around the track in record time. Replaced parts, fixed problems, added more bondo.  At that time, it was easy to find used muscle cars or ones that could be made into one.  Close buddies, Bill was (and still is) the Chevy guy with a 69 Hugger orange Z28. Mike had a 69 Boss 302, yellow that he repainted Orange.  Craig had a 73 Charger, 318 auto and John a65 Mustang coupe, originally a 6 with a stick, we swapped in a 289.  But after time passed I decided that a custom van was where I wanted to be, or more like to be with my wife-to-be.  That lasted a year, followed by 1 74 455 T/A (good until the trans cooler mixed with the radiator), 76 360 Cordoba (nice ride, no problems with it), a couple of beaters including a late 70’s Toyota Tercel for $1.00 which Dad and I pulled the engine in an afternoon to replace the clutch, then back to Mustangs. 1982 GT 5.0, 1991 Mustang GT, 1997 SHO Yamaha V8, and a couple of family vehicles.  Then in 1996 my friend Bill (Mr. Z28) found an add in the local ads newspaper for a 70 Mustang SCJ project car.  Off we went and found my 2nd SCJ Mustang in a storage barn covered with old dusty tarps, which you see here in all its glory. It took 7 years to complete the restoration. After pulling it all apart the resto stalled due to family responsibilities.  I was lucky to meet a local body shop guy that would work on it in his barn over the span of a year plus to get rid of the rust and previous body repairs, and another recommendation for final bodywork and paint. Again of course, life, kids, work, etc. took priority over working on the car, but I worked on it bit by bit and finally finished. I can’t describe the feeling of accomplishment when it was done. I would have never thought I could do this, but I did. I took it to shows and got my share of awards.  I enjoyed the trip thru the years to get to that point. I went thru a divorce and was fortunate to be able to keep the car, but less than a year after that I realized the car was worth more than I had in the bank, and it was too risky to drive around people that should not be on the road.  I sold it to a collector from FL, he actually drove up to Illinois in the winter to trailer it back, with the idea he would take for a spin around downtown Chicago. I told him that the white streaks on the road are salt and advised against that.  Not sure if he did or not.  The Mustang path didn’t end there though.  In 2014 I bought a new Mustang GT, red of course.  Took that on road trips to Florida, including a detour on the Tail of the Dragon.  It is faster than the SCJ for sure, more comfortable too.  But no way comparable in the visceral feeling you get with manual steering and shifting a car with all that weight in the front.  And of course the looks it provides.  This year financial and life changes made me decide to sell that one. But at the ripe age of 65 I just might have enough time/money/health to have one more Mustang in my life.  Thanks for reading.

 







 


 








27 comments:

  1. Back when Mustangs were cool cars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya! On my third ‘Stang - 65 fastback (sold), 68 coupe (totaled), and my current raison de vivre a 68 coupe which we restored over three years. She’s cherry and she’s hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way back when, I had a chance to buy a 58 vette with 2 extra top in blaze orange for a grand. It belong to a friend of mine brother who just got out of the navy and need to sell (wife & kid) had the money for the car but not the insurance
    and without that dad said no ! still had a couple of t-birds that i got one for 75 bucks, rusted as hell and bad rear
    bearing, made a really bad noise on left turns, and a other one for like a 100 something looked better than the first one, but the seats would move if you hit the gas or brakes too hard. got rid of that one when water was coming up thru
    the floor(?) whenever it rained. when I unloaded it the seat had a nasty habit of falling back when you hit the gas !
    It was fast though. muscle cars where everywhere after the gas crunch of 73. and the bigger the engine, the less they sold for. back in the 1980's it was barn finds before the internet and ebay stopped it. the midwest was a great place to find them too, boy goes off to school in the big city, buys a nice sports car. drives it back home and it ended up
    parked in or behind the barn as life takes over and trucks are better on country roads. found a lot of old sportsdars
    back then. cheap too ! wish I had a few of them now that I had before my divorce .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days. I was the baby of the family about 9 years younger than my sister and about 7 years younger than my brother. My brother went to Viet Nam in 69 and returned in 72 after 3 years. He became a Ranger in Nam and the last time in 72 his unit was wiped out and he spent time in a Hospital in Nam and in Northern California before sending him home in Southern California for leave for 30 days.

    He had changed but one thing he did was buy a 70 Z28 with the money he had saved. He then dismantled it and started to modify it to make it faster. I was just getting my drivers license and he had to report to base in Texas and then go for further training. My brother stayed in the Army another 3 years. I had money saved up from working on lawns and other jobs so he sold the car to me. I spent 9 months rebuilding the car while I worked. It was incredibly fast and required high octane that they do not produce now, but it burned gas as fast as I put it in. I could go over 155Mph in it and still beat most anyone off at a standing start. I later sold it a year later because it was too expensive to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a 1973 Mach 1 with a Cleveland 351 that I bought from a friend. It cost me 1500.00 if I remember correctly. I had that car almost 2 weeks. I got one speeding ticket but we lived in a small town, the police chef called my dad and gave him a heads up that he pulled me over again for speeding but let me go. Needless to say that night the car was history. I ended up with a 1972 Ford Pinto. I'm thinking that was part of my punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always liked Mustangs. Back in 1984 I was working part time putting myself through the my junior year in college where a guy there had a 68 base 2+2 fastback that he used to deliver newspapers out in the rural part of the county. It had had the AM radio replaced with a Pioneer unit but it had the 6 cyl with a 3 speed manual and power nothing. It had rolled the odometer at least once and was showing 70k miles. Supposedly the top end had been rebuilt. The guy that owned it had ordered the new Mustang SVO. We struck a deal and I was to buy it when he took delivery of the 84 SVO.

    I found a 351 Windsor in a 72 T-bird at the local auto junk yard. I had the heads worked, got a Wieand 4 barrel intake, Holly 600 DP carb, Isky cam, and new pistons that were .030" over. I had the machine shop balance and blueprint the bottom end where they added a windage tray. They also ported the intake to the heads and put this all together with a set of headers that would fit the 68 Mustang. It dyno'd at just over 400 HP. I also acquired a Doug Nash 5 speed reverse H transmission. I had almost $3,000 tied up in it when I picked up my engine 2 weeks before I was to get the Mustang.

    The idiot I was going to buy the 68 from got drunk and wrapped the car around a tree the weekend before he got his SVO. He got thrown clear and when he woke up he left the accident. He was able to get the wreck home without police intervention.

    I looked for another 2+2 Fastback for over a year with no luck. I was driving a wore out F-100 302 3-on-the-tree with the Ranger package (it had a posi 4:10 rear) when the crank broke. The condensed story is the 351W and DN 5-speed ended up in the 72 F-100 Ranger. I had a sleeper before they were popular.

    I am still looking for a Mustang I can call mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first car was a 1971 Ford Galaxy 500, with a 351, but I don't know which block was in it. Within a year, I replaced it with a 1973 Ford Gran Torino, with a 351 Cleveland, painted a sky blue, owned by my uncle. He had all of the paperwork showing every single oil change, tire rotation, etc. ever done, on time, and it was a beauty.
    And may I mention, it was FAST. The only time I ever got beat at a stop light was by a Corvette. We both took off, and were neck and neck, then he shifted into 2nd, and that was the last I saw of him. But my car was the last time that I owned a car that made me think that I owned something that made me think that I had something memorable. Now, there is nothing memorable.
    A drunk ran off the road, after the bar closed, and hit my Torino, sitting in my driveway, killing it. I wanted to kill him, but I didn't. I guess that was the right decision, but I still miss that car. And the buy died about 15 years later, in a car accident, drunk. Karma is a bitch, I guess. The only bad thing is, he left a beautiful wife, who was the sweetest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Bravo! Awesome! Magnificent!
    SOME CAR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story. One of my sons friends growing up was good kid but spoiled from just growing up in a well to do family. His parents dropped him off with his Grandfather for the summer after his junior and seniors years in High School and together they re-built a 68 resto Mod Mustang. I'm telling you we got a different kid back. A boy who could be hard to take had turned into a man who could handle anything and is currently finishing an Electrical Engineering degree. That car and his Grandfather was the best thing that ever happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buzz-A-Rama:
    Is a slot car establishment that opened in my home town of Brooklyn New York in 1965 and is still around (Only half a year according to Google)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comments and your stories. I have to think there will be fewer of these experiences for the new generations. The cars today are so different than what we have for today's performance. Fast cars wont go away, but the feel of really working on a car, not sure about that. A short story about my 1st SCJ in 1974. The throwout bearing was making noise when I got the car. Put the car up on jack stands and proceeded to pull the driveshaft, crossmember, etc. to pull the tranny. Somewhere in the process my friend Craig stopped over to lend a hand. I'm under the car, he's standing up when Mom walks out. Didn't know she was there and was having a real hard time getting a wrench on 5/8 bolt. I let loose a couple of Mefers' in frustration. I crawled out from under and Craig was grinning. Asked him what was so funny... He said my Mom was there and told him she was going to wait to ask me something and walked back to the house. She never said anything to me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice ride. Most kids born over the last few decades will never experience the feeling of having your head snap back and being buried into the seat back when you bury your right foot into a high performance big block mounted in a light framed vehicle, be it Chevy, Ford or Mopar.

    IMHO, no matter what performance enhancements they add on modern vehicles, there is and never will be a substitute for cubic inches. Probably why Dodge put a 439(6.2L) cu in engine in the Hellcat.

    Nemo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a story that is all American and warms the cockles of my heart. I'm still looking for Dad's Cortez Silver '70 Nova SS 396 that we used to race every Sunday. Someday... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In 1970 just a year out of high school Dad and I went looking for a car for me. I fell in love with a Mustang, but to Dad it was just too much money. I ended up with a '70 340 Duster with a three speed and my Mopar life was on. I sold the Duster a couple of years later and bought a front engine dragster and powered it with a 340 Mopar. Eventually I bought and sold two rear engine dragsters and somewhere along the way I bought a yellow '70 Mach 1 with a Windsor 2 bbl. That is the only car I wish I had kept, but need for funds to race made me sell it. I gave the guy $275 for it since he thought the block was cracked. Turned out a couple of frost plugs were leaking, a normal Ford feature since they didn't thoroughly clean the casting sand out of the block. That guy still hates me and I hate me for selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome !! From ALL of you, I might add.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I was never a Ford fan until Chebbie started selling crap. Still have my '89 Taurus SHO (all original) and will keep it until I die. I sure do miss my '67 two-top Corvette, 427 L88 engine. It would pass everything but a gas station.
    Ah, youth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First Car: '69 Mustang, stock. Three speed manual, 302 V-8.
    Power-Nothing accessories.
    Drove like a truck. A Mack truck.
    Swapped ends on wet-pavement days like they'd put a wheelie bar rail under the rear bumper.
    A "Rockford" J-turn would take nothing more, even on dry days, than a brake stab and a twitch of the wheel, and you'd be flying along backwards in a micro-second.

    But pointed forward?
    It f**king hauled ass!

    When I went to college, I lived in L.A.
    School in Santa Barbara.
    I clocked the distance: from my onramp to my offramp was 89.6 miles.

    I was making that trip in 59 minutes. Routinely. Even including time getting out of The Big Smoggy at under 55 speeds.

    There's one stretch of northbound I-101, just beyond Ventura, where there's no on- or off-ramps for about 4 miles.
    And in the day (and probably still), the CHP generally only runs one cruiser from Ventura to SB.
    So if you see the CHP guy on the opposite side of the freeway writing a ticket to some schlub, you've got the green light to go for it.

    I was prepared.
    I had buckled the lap belt, and the entirely separate (in those days) shoulder belt.
    Had on a motorcycle helmet.
    (And was flatly astonished to see how people would move, unbidden, to the right on a two-lane freeway, just seeing that coming up at warp speed in their rearview mirror.)

    The North/South section in question is only two lanes each way, right along the coast, and runs gently uphill from south to north, the direction I was heading in.

    After the last on-ramp, with a several-mile straightaway ahead, and light Sunday afternoon traffic, on a clear sunny day, I wanted to let it all out.

    Pedal mashed to the floorboards.
    Factory speedo went to 125 indicated, with space beyond that and no markings.
    In a few seconds, Baby/the Beast went all the way around to the stops.
    Needle was buried at what had to be 135+, just based on distance beyond where 125 was clearly marked.
    And even on the slight uphill, in top gear, doing all of that, the car was still accelerating!!

    I sh*t thee not.

    The light poles where whipping by zoom-zoom-zoom, like I was hitting the front straight at Indy, passing the grandstand.

    Nothing in front of me but asphalt for at least a couple/three miles.

    Which, it dawned in the mathematical sliver of my most barely post-adolescent brain, I realized I would be covering in less than a minute. From right now.

    And then, the barely-growing-in long-term wisdom section chimed in that if that semi-and-trailer coming into view three miles away changed lanes, I'd have about 5 seconds to make an important decision.
    And if something, anything, went suddenly pear-shaped, like a tire blowout, etc., Mother Aesop was going to be sending the scrapings of me to Forest Lawn.

    With the gentlest tinglings of common sense kicking in, and the lightpoles still going by at Ludicrous Speed, I ever so gently eased up on the long pedal on the right, as my body pressed into both safety belts, and the car began to decelerate back towards sub-light velocities.

    All the way back to street-legal 65MPH.

    Which, once reached, after my visit to 140MPH or so, felt like I was moving through a parking lot in first gear, with the light poles now going by zooooooooooom...............zooooooooom....................zoooooooooom, instead of zoom-zoom-zoom.

    Weird, but as I later learned, normal brain processing under the circumstances.

    What a car.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great story and pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some cars make you horny, and this is one of them

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slot cars were awesome. Best kid Christmas present I ever got. Started out with 55 Chevy 210. Had very little money, yes never should have sold it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Ford story. My buddy had a new Purple 1970 429 4 spd SCJ Torino. Before we could go goof off he had to go mow one of his mom's rental property yards. We loaded the old Lawn Boy onto this tiny 4x4 trailer with no sides. I was to sit on the trailer and hold on to the mower. I told him to go slow as to not fall off. He pulled out of the drive,straightened up and launched. 3 gears later I was screaming at him I would let go of the mower.Of course he didn't hear me and laughed his ass off when we got to the yard. As a result of the experience I'm more of a knuckle dragger than I would of been.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paragraphs are such a wonderful thing. Our host often employs them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pbfurn. We are amongst friends here on the blog. I requested a story to go along with the great images that reader Jim had sent me to post. I copied the email and posted it as it was.

      Proper punctuation and grammar isn't a top concern here at the bunker. Camaraderie is. You're always welcome.

      Delete

Leave us a comment if you like...