I agree with the first commenter, I'll bet he had one and was going down memory lane. I'm in my 70s now and I still love those cars I had as a teenager. Wish I had never sold them.
I've never sold a car.I have every car I ever had,but some of them are now awaiting restoration,of course.And the wife and neighbors are less than thrilled that I still have them.
A car will outlive us if you take of it while we get old no matter what. The things and places I liked when I was young still have a pull on my emotions because they remind me I was young once. My own kids (current wife has two from her first marriage) bought me a steam train trip for my 70th and arranged for a cab ride in the engine which was built in 1915. Being a train nerd it really was a thing on my bucket list and it was amazing. They are great kids but their mum was a cheater and I'm too fearful of surprises to do the ancestry thing.
No, I live in New Zealand. I have a few short video clips but if you Google Steam Incorporated you can see what they offer. I rode in A608. One son is a clever mechanical engineer and he came along. He would have loved a ride as well but there are rules when you are out on the main line owned by the national rail operator. If you didn't arrange it in advance you didn't do it. I think my ride was approved because of my "special" occasion.
My first car was a 70 Camaro that took me a year to put together in 73. It was in pieces and I built it. Later I sold it during college to help pay for college.
1976 F250 high-boy. 4x4 300 inline 6. Pulls large trees out of the ground with traction and granny gear. Took 48 years until I could get one - for about the original selling price.
It's his Dad. Visiting after a few years. Who had given him the car when he got too old to drive. He's not happy that sonny repainted in Ford colors and he's checking if it's been properly cared for......
I sold a number match 69 z28 a couple years ago. Original dz302. Some guy followed me to work and offered me twice what I paid for it 5 years earlier. Now I feel like that old man.
Brings back memories of me outrunning a '69 Camero on a twisty Chuckanut Drive in my '67 Healy Sprite. Once we got to a straightaway he blew by me around 90+. He was kinda pissed...
That was awesome and very sad at the same time. He should have taken him out for a rip down the street….
ReplyDeleteI would've in a heartbeat
DeleteI remember having Grandma in a back seat like that...........
ReplyDeleteHe was probably wondering if it was the same one he bought when he was 20
ReplyDeleteI agree, seems at the end he was checking out the VIN...
DeleteGB
He was thinking about all the baby's he got back in 68 in his new camero
ReplyDeleteMaybe he was looking to see if it was his old car
ReplyDeleteThe Past is another Country. They did things differently then.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking "does this guy know how to power shift this baby without leaving engine parts on the asphalt since I'm that old guy.
DeleteI agree with the first commenter, I'll bet he had one and was going down memory lane. I'm in my 70s now and I still love those cars I had as a teenager. Wish I had never sold them.
ReplyDeleteWe have all had a car we wish we still had. Most of back then did not have the resorces to store them. My 67 Dart GT would be a lot of fun today.
DeleteToo true. 68 Mustang convertible.
DeleteI've never sold a car.I have every car I ever had,but some of them are now awaiting restoration,of course.And the wife and neighbors are less than thrilled that I still have them.
DeleteA car will outlive us if you take of it while we get old no matter what. The things and places I liked when I was young still have a pull on my emotions because they remind me I was young once. My own kids (current wife has two from her first marriage) bought me a steam train trip for my 70th and arranged for a cab ride in the engine which was built in 1915. Being a train nerd it really was a thing on my bucket list and it was amazing. They are great kids but their mum was a cheater and I'm too fearful of surprises to do the ancestry thing.
ReplyDeleteif they did that for you, they're yours all right, DNA matching or not. Frankly, I'm jealous.
DeleteNorthern Nevada RR in Ely?
DeleteNo, I live in New Zealand. I have a few short video clips but if you Google Steam Incorporated you can see what they offer. I rode in A608. One son is a clever mechanical engineer and he came along. He would have loved a ride as well but there are rules when you are out on the main line owned by the national rail operator. If you didn't arrange it in advance you didn't do it. I think my ride was approved because of my "special" occasion.
DeleteProbably wondering how he could have had so much fun in the back seat.
ReplyDeleteMy first car was a 70 Camaro that took me a year to put together in 73. It was in pieces and I built it. Later I sold it during college to help pay for college.
ReplyDeleteHe dated the love of his life in a car just like that one. His love, like his car is gone now
ReplyDeleteHell, I'm not quite that old, but I'll do the same thing with a beat up Ford pickup from the 70s.
ReplyDelete1976 F250 high-boy. 4x4 300 inline 6. Pulls large trees out of the ground with traction and granny gear. Took 48 years until I could get one - for about the original selling price.
DeleteIt's his Dad. Visiting after a few years. Who had given him the car when he got too old to drive. He's not happy that sonny repainted in Ford colors and he's checking if it's been properly cared for......
ReplyDelete"There's the cigarette burn I did in 69. Man, we had a good time that night."
ReplyDeleteI would be thinking, "In 1976, when I was 16, I had a 69 Camaro Z28, manual 4 speed, with leather interior."
ReplyDeleteI sold a number match 69 z28 a couple years ago. Original dz302. Some guy followed me to work and offered me twice what I paid for it 5 years earlier. Now I feel like that old man.
ReplyDeleteGet the fuck out there and shoot the shit with him, might learn something.
ReplyDeleteWe were legends. Just did not realize it then.
ReplyDeleteSame thing I would be thinking if it was a 69 SS
ReplyDeleteBrings back memories of me outrunning a '69 Camero on a twisty Chuckanut Drive in my '67 Healy Sprite. Once we got to a straightaway he blew by me around 90+. He was kinda pissed...
ReplyDelete