Saw them last Sept. in Providence,was a good show and though tired the smile on Franks face as he took a bow said it all,he remembered why he does what he does!I had 3rd row center with a friend and Elwood did a great job,as Dusties tech for decades not a surprise.
I first saw the little ole band from Texas in 1978 as a young teen at Cape Cod Coliseum,many shows thru the decades in between!
RIP Frank and say Hi to Dusty for us!
Seems billy may continue tour,if he does and New England shows still on will as planned for awhile catch one.
Gibbons has been able to put together some amazing side projects over the years, but these three together were as perfect as it gets. We shall not see their like again.
Really sad to hear. I remember hearing Frank had to be hospitalized in the last couple of weeks, and they cancelled a show. Only Billy Gibbons is left of the three high school buddies. I wonder if he'll try to keep ZZ Top going, just tour by himself, or hang it up and retire.
Around 1973 ZZ Top came to play at the Roswell, New Mexico YMCA. None had ever heard of them and they were wanting $7 for tickets. When the acid started kicking in heavy about ten of us standing outside in the parking lot were going catatonic. All three ZZ Tops came outside asking WTF are we doing or if we're going inside or not. Someone muttered, "I dunno... 7 dollar tickets" when probably Gibbons yelled at us, "Get yer butts in there right NOW!" pointing to the door. We didn't like ZZ Top yelling at us and in our delicate condition we complied and were allowed in for free. There were maybe 25 all together as an audience, no chairs, no stage, just standing there at the same level with the band. Gibbons said, "We are ZZ Top from Houston, Texas and we are going to rock your ass" and THEY DID! We were totally humiliated, unworthy and tripping our brains out and they put on a show that I will never forget.
Still may happen,Frank has had ankle/wrist issues for awhile,had a fill in a few shows last year,am grateful he was up to the challenge when I saw em last September,they still do Lowell show feel I need to go.
Was just going through my albums & came across 3 unopened zz top albums, #1, 3 ,6, with all the other zz albums. Must have bought them in a drug induced buying frenzy. And they are first pressings too. Never been a big fan.
Saw them for the first time on the El Loco tour, waaaay back in the day. Last time we saw them was at the Plant City Strawberry Festival in 2024, when Elwood had just replaced Dusty. They never stopped kicking ass on stage. Rest in peace, Frank.
I caught a story a year or so back where someone was talking with some other band, and they commented on how much sound that band put out. The guy in the band said I see you’re not acquainted with ZZ Top.
Damn fine music right there. RIP Frank may your rhythm carry on for centuries.
ReplyDeleteVictor
Saw them last Sept. in Providence,was a good show and though tired the smile on Franks face as he took a bow said it all,he remembered why he does what he does!I had 3rd row center with a friend and Elwood did a great job,as Dusties tech for decades not a surprise.
ReplyDeleteI first saw the little ole band from Texas in 1978 as a young teen at Cape Cod Coliseum,many shows thru the decades in between!
RIP Frank and say Hi to Dusty for us!
Seems billy may continue tour,if he does and New England shows still on will as planned for awhile catch one.
That was a sad notice. The Beard without a beard.
ReplyDeleteYeah, a lot of us are sad.
ReplyDeleteHis signature sound was from placing snare drum springs on the bottom of all his drums,. I forget where I read that.
ReplyDeleteBy all accounts, a good guy.
ReplyDeletehttps://apnews.com/article/frank-beard-died-zz-top-obit-72139238d1dbf3d277bdb3b8584eecc9
Gibbons has been able to put together some amazing side projects over the years, but these three together were as perfect as it gets. We shall not see their like again.
ReplyDeleteReally sad to hear. I remember hearing Frank had to be hospitalized in the last couple of weeks, and they cancelled a show. Only Billy Gibbons is left of the three high school buddies. I wonder if he'll try to keep ZZ Top going, just tour by himself, or hang it up and retire.
ReplyDeleteSad news for sure, RIP Frank...
ReplyDeleteHe's headed to that shack outside La Grange.
ReplyDeleteMy first concert in the early 80s. Great music still love that sound.
ReplyDeleteAround 1973 ZZ Top came to play at the Roswell, New Mexico YMCA. None had ever heard of them and they were wanting $7 for tickets. When the acid started kicking in heavy about ten of us standing outside in the parking lot were going catatonic. All three ZZ Tops came outside asking WTF are we doing or if we're going inside or not. Someone muttered, "I dunno... 7 dollar tickets" when probably Gibbons yelled at us, "Get yer butts in there right NOW!" pointing to the door. We didn't like ZZ Top yelling at us and in our delicate condition we complied and were allowed in for free. There were maybe 25 all together as an audience, no chairs, no stage, just standing there at the same level with the band. Gibbons said, "We are ZZ Top from Houston, Texas and we are going to rock your ass" and THEY DID! We were totally humiliated, unworthy and tripping our brains out and they put on a show that I will never forget.
ReplyDeleteDamn! Have tickets to see them in Guilford, NH, on Labor Day weekend!
ReplyDeleteStill may happen,Frank has had ankle/wrist issues for awhile,had a fill in a few shows last year,am grateful he was up to the challenge when I saw em last September,they still do Lowell show feel I need to go.
DeleteWas just going through my albums & came across 3 unopened zz top albums, #1, 3 ,6, with all the other zz albums. Must have bought them in a drug induced buying frenzy. And they are first pressings too. Never been a big fan.
ReplyDeleteSaw them for the first time on the El Loco tour, waaaay back in the day. Last time we saw them was at the Plant City Strawberry Festival in 2024, when Elwood had just replaced Dusty. They never stopped kicking ass on stage. Rest in peace, Frank.
ReplyDeleteI caught a story a year or so back where someone was talking with some other band, and they commented on how much sound that band put out. The guy in the band said I see you’re not acquainted with ZZ Top.
ReplyDeleteThere are many trios who rocked,among them Cream/Rush/Triumph.
Delete