Drug addiction promoted far and wide since the Mayflower landed. Completely baffling. Does the brain treat nicotine cravings similarly to carbohydrates? It is a far more deeply embedded addiction, but with similar attributes during withdrawal. There is zero reason to ingest it, most especially through the lungs, but at one time it was expected as a rite of passage (for some unbelievable reason). The stink and phlegmy coughs once prevalent in public spaces are largely gone; we no longer have to endure an addict spewing discarded carrier material for thirty feet around them; we all participated in the addiction then, whether or not we wanted to.
The region where I live was completely dependent on tobacco from farming to marketing to manufacturing and everything in between. Without that product and its many spinoffs the area would be unrecognizable. Success, yes, but at an enormous cost.
There was a passenger on the Mayflower who went overboard not far from the American shore that was rescued. To bad, look up the history, lineage and descendants.
Everyone I know who has been a long-time smoker has come down with COPD. EVERYONE.
In my time in the Navy, I was around a lot of people who dipped and who smoked. Seemed that the cig of choice was Marlboro. I thought they were the rankest smelling things I ever had the displeasure to be around.
Yeap, as a kid I hated going to the doc's office. It always smelled of stale cig smoke. And when you left there; you had that lingering smell on your clothes.
In terms of public health, anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I read about a cop who was shot six times and lived. It doesn’t make being shot healthful or even harmless.
Edward Bernays, lived to be 103, was a very spooky propagandist hired by the CIA at times. He was the advertising genius who got women to start smoking back in the 1920's calling them "Torches of Freedom." Goebbels and Adolph were fans of his philosophies.
Mom-born in 1908-was a chain smoker-her big excuse always was "I don't inhale". But she was honest enough to tell us kids how addictive smoking is and how it is a "dirty habit". Dad was even more of a chain smoker. A couple of us kids figured things out and never smoked beyond the early teen years. One brother dealt with the misery of COPD for many years. Every year his lung function would decrease another few percent, until at the end it was around 20%. Hell of a way to go.
You know, all the addictive ingredients in the smokes are now in snack food. Twinkies, corn chips, soda pop, crackers, you name it. That's why everybody is so fat. Gotta have their latte, donuts and chips and pop in the afternoon.
I salute anyone that went through basic training in the military and doesn't smoke! I remember work breaks for the smokers, and you better not be caught bumming a cigarette!
Thank God "those" days are gone forever for me.
ReplyDeleteDrug addiction promoted far and wide since the Mayflower landed.
ReplyDeleteCompletely baffling. Does the brain treat nicotine cravings similarly to carbohydrates? It is a far more deeply embedded addiction, but with similar attributes during withdrawal. There is zero reason to ingest it, most especially through the lungs, but at one time it was expected as a rite of passage (for some unbelievable reason). The stink and phlegmy coughs once prevalent in public spaces are largely gone; we no longer have to endure an addict spewing discarded carrier material for thirty feet around them; we all participated in the addiction then, whether or not we wanted to.
The region where I live was completely dependent on tobacco from farming to marketing to manufacturing and everything in between. Without that product and its many spinoffs the area would be unrecognizable. Success, yes, but at an enormous cost.
"Doctor, what cigarette do YOU smoke?"
There was a passenger on the Mayflower who went overboard not far from the American shore that was rescued. To bad, look up the history, lineage and descendants.
DeleteNever was a smoker, but I did have an old Chieftain like the doctor's ("straight eight").
DeleteCamel cigarettes were nothing more then Camel dung. Lucky Strikes, now there was and is still a fine smoke. LS/MFT
ReplyDeleteTastes good like cigarette should.
Delete-lg
As kids we loved to say: Loose Sweaters Make Floppy Tits
DeleteLSMFT loose straps mean floppy titties!!
DeleteEveryone I know who has been a long-time smoker has come down with COPD. EVERYONE.
ReplyDeleteIn my time in the Navy, I was around a lot of people who dipped and who smoked. Seemed that the cig of choice was Marlboro. I thought they were the rankest smelling things I ever had the displeasure to be around.
My parents smoked Winston
DeleteYeap, as a kid I hated going to the doc's office. It always smelled of stale cig smoke. And when you left there; you had that lingering smell on your clothes.
ReplyDeleteHow bout 24/7 365 if both your parents smoked
Deletemy aunt died at 93 after smoking 2pkds a day of unfiltered camels for 50+ years.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of public health, anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I read about a cop who was shot six times and lived. It doesn’t make being shot healthful or even harmless.
DeleteIf you look closely, those actors are not inhaling the smoke.
ReplyDeleteEdward Bernays, lived to be 103, was a very spooky propagandist hired by the CIA at times. He was the advertising genius who got women to start smoking back in the 1920's calling them "Torches of Freedom." Goebbels and Adolph were fans of his philosophies.
ReplyDeleteMom-born in 1908-was a chain smoker-her big excuse always was "I don't inhale". But she was honest enough to tell us kids how addictive smoking is and how it is a "dirty habit". Dad was even more of a chain smoker. A couple of us kids figured things out and never smoked beyond the early teen years. One brother dealt with the misery of COPD for many years. Every year his lung function would decrease another few percent, until at the end it was around 20%. Hell of a way to go.
DeleteBoo to all the cig haters.
ReplyDeleteMarlboro reds in nam.2 packs a day. Really dumb but we had other worries. Quit 26 years ago
ReplyDeleteYou know, all the addictive ingredients in the smokes are now in snack food. Twinkies, corn chips, soda pop, crackers, you name it. That's why everybody is so fat. Gotta have their latte, donuts and chips and pop in the afternoon.
ReplyDeleteI had an uncle that smoked Camel unfiltered. He died a horrible death.
ReplyDelete"Are you griwn up enough for Granny Goose ?"
ReplyDelete"Are you grown up enough for Granny Goose ?"
ReplyDeleteI salute anyone that went through basic training in the military and doesn't smoke! I remember work breaks for the smokers, and you better not be caught bumming a cigarette!
ReplyDeleteMost doctors drove Packards. And I still remember all the TV cigarette commercials.
ReplyDelete