Monday, November 29, 2021

Adult Erector Set.... Unistrut

 

  I have been picking away at a project in the tractor shed to make more floor space available.

Luckily there is some vertical clearance so the only way to go it up ↑.

 Over the past several months I have been messing around with a way to get the lawn tractor

up and out of the way for the winter. One was to make hangers and purchase a set of forks for

the John Deere. The only issue was limited room to move the tractor and running the diesel for

a while in there wouldn't be fun.  I modeled some 2x8 ramps and a platform but didn't like that.

I don't want something too permanent.  Final iteration testing was with my truck ramps. 

This seemed to be a good plan.  I mounted a length of unistrut to the wall so the ramps can 

hook into the slot and be adjustable side to side. It's bolted about 42 inches up from the floor.

The longest ramps could find on sale at Tractor Supply were still rather steep. Next up I 

grabbed a hand winch off amazon. Mounted to the extended piece of unistut, it goes to a 

snatch block mounted on center above the ramps. The cable from the winch runs up from

where you see it under the window then 90 degrees down the center of the ramps to the front

 of the mower. 

Once I made some adjustment and got everything mounted the winch pulled the 

mower right up the ramps.

 Since I didn't want anything interfering with the floor space I bolted a large eyebolt through the center

carry beam 6x10 and added a small chain fall.  A length of unistrut tied the ends of the ramps together

and has another eyebolt for the lifting hook.

 Using the chain fall the ramps are lifted from the ground to slightly above level and mower rolls

slowly forward an inch or so and  bumps into the far wall. 

I will add some safety chains to either side of the ramp near the rear wheels so the chainfall 

doesn't stay loaded all winter.



 





27 comments:

  1. That would be a problem for me. I would end up filling the space under the mower with all sorts of stuff, and then grumble come spring when I have to unclutter the area in order to get the mower out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, a man just has to say, "Damn, I'm good!" Ohio Guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!!! This project would have resulted in a medical helicopter ride for me!!! BTW all, I have only been able to post replies as anonymous. Any suggestions on how to actually post a name?? Maybe my screen name will explain the difficulty….. POP63
    The POP stands for “Pissed Off Polack”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd put a couple of 4x4's under the end vertically and lover it down on them. Hinge them to the ramps, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna go with some suspension chains so there is no obstacles under it.

      Delete
    2. Well since you plan on using the space underneath "in the clear", then your solution is better!

      Delete
  5. hope you added fuel stabilizer to the gas and ran the mower to get the treated fuel into the carburetor before stowing the mower for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When ever I fill my 5 gallon jugs I add stabilizer to the empties before I leave to go to the pumps. All my fuel has stabilizer. Good reminder though. TY.

      Delete
  6. yea, that is a guy problem. you see empty space and you want to fill it up with something. last summer at the local home defect
    showed a couple of younger guys what unistrut was and told them what a problem solver it can be. they where amazed at it (?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I'll see where it can go. I have the Gadsden Flag and the Confederate Flag taking up the other walls.

      Delete
  8. Be careful You're introducing a torsion into the WF. Those sections are weak in that application

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's close enough to the bearing/braced end but if it became an issue he could move the load to the bottom flange to almost eliminate the rotation moment

      Delete
  9. Some years back a friend had a similar space problem. His solution was weld a ring to the front of the frame, hang a snatch block on a 4X6 secured across 4 trusses and use a come-along to hoist it vertically (after draining the liquids and removing the battery, which went inside where it wouldn't freeze). Once vertical as high as it could go a welded frame supported it from underneath and a couple straps tied it to the wall. It all seemed rather involved but he said that once everything was built the 2 hours/year it took (1 up and 1 down) was way cheaper than building more square footage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand you want the floor space clear but that is a lot of unplanned pressure on all components of the roof and walls in one corner. Over time, you may develop roof leaks, window displacement and frame shift, plus that much weight overhead is always a hazard. I agree some support underneath (maybe two 4x4's cut to length and driven into position with a hammer (3/16" long) would be a good idea. We want you blogging for years to come, not fighting with insurance companies !

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the smartest moves I've ever made was dumpster diving after one of my 'all over the US' contractors finished a job. Everything that was anything, to include equipment, went in the dumpster. 14" DeWalt chop saw and a dozen unused blades...check. Mop buckets, vacuum cleaners, partially opened cleaners and solvents...check. Killer find...and what I've been using for over 8yrs now, 2000' of galvanized 1-5/8"x1-5/8"x10' kindorf (unistrut/strut channel), boxes upon boxes of couplers, connectors, brackets, bolts, in channel spring loaded nuts. Took me 2 trailer loads to get all that stuff home, and has been fueling every project from an overhead garage lift, a winch run "H" cylinder lift/rack in the back of my Ranger, to a welding table, and the latest project, a 3 space brewing cart with brew in a bag lift and 3 burners underneath.
    That stuff, along with 80/20, is a tinkerers staple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The company I was fired from uses Unistrut by the 100,000 foot lengths. Unistrut makes some very nifty fittings for big boy erector set jobs. The do make telescoping sections that would be ideal for the vertical hanging sections. I know chains are the easy solution but they have no side to side stability unless in great tension and cross braced. It would be easy to make an N truss to the rafters to take the load and remove the side load on the rear wall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The company I was fired from uses Unistrut by the 100,000 foot lengths. Unistrut makes some very nifty fittings for big boy erector set jobs. The do make telescoping sections that would be ideal for the vertical hanging sections. I know chains are the easy solution but they have no side to side stability unless in great tension and cross braced. It would be easy to make an N truss to the rafters to take the load and remove the side load on the rear wall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I saw the Adult Erector Set, my mind went immediately to 8020.
    Unistrut, in my mind, is for hanging pipes and conduit. But, apparently, Husky's too.
    Is that the one with the replacement engine?

    Leigh
    Whitehall, NY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speaking of 'erector set'...
    What is the source of today's masthead babe, skinny Post-Apoch with suspenders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://images.hdqwalls.com/download/final-fantasy-girl-vh-3840x2400.jpg

      Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy. So I'm told, I don't game. :)

      Delete

Leave us a comment if you like...