Friday, March 1, 2013

It was 1978 or there about....

I remember sitting on the wall down the street from my house .......

This is the actual wall taken from Bing Maps...

There were probably about 8 to 10 of us in the 15 to 16 year old range just hanging out. One of the older kids from the neighborhood had a 1972 Torino Cobra and would come by and do smoke shows.

"NOT" the original car

This one night he pulled up and had this song cranking on the stereo. It was the first time I heard it and it has been one of those songs that need to be cranked up when ever it comes on the radio. I just heard it playing on Pandora Internet radio and it brought back a vivid memory of that one summer night so long ago.....



9 comments:

  1. My brother was the neighborhood gearhead growing up- switch out the Torino for a Camaro or a Cutlass and the music for Quiet Riot and this story reads like a memory for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the memories...I had the Gran Torino Sport. I hate to admit Paul was right I always got smoked by a GM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Hearing Van Halen for the first time was a revelation. Never before had a brand new band immediately become a legend (in our minds). Awesome Song, Awesome Band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how songs can do that isn't it... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have a few on you. My memories were sitting on the ice cooler at the local convenience store and the cars we drooled over were more like the 1968 Chevy SS or 66 gto. The 72 Torino was one cool car although my dream at that time was the AMX.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I heard this song, my mom and I were coming out of church, my step dad was waiting for us in the parking lot in his Chevelle SS cranking the hell out of this. On an eight track. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had me a 1964 &1/2 Mustang (delivered in June 1964 in NJ but registered as a 1965).

    Metallic blue coupe, 289 ci V-8, 4-barrel, 4 on the floor (Hurst shifter).

    Unfortunately, it only came with an AM radio. I installed a "reverberator" and 2 speakers on the back deck. Beach boys sounded awesome.

    Put a Sun tack on the steering column and Monroe shocks in the front with oversized bias ply, white wall tires all round. (no radials then).

    It Smoked, cept against Vettes of course......... Comaros hadn't been invented yet.





    ReplyDelete
  8. I was three months old when this album came out. My mother tells me stories about how I'd be standing in the back seat of her Z-28 singing this song...

    ReplyDelete
  9. HaHa I remember this one. Played the hell out of it.
    One Saturday morning had it cranked, roommate comes screaming downstairs, rips the album off the turntable and smashes it over his leg.
    It was his album lol

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...