Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Reading List ...Earth Abides.


From WIKI:

Earth Abides is a 1949 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer George R. Stewart. It tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and its rebirth.


One of my readers had recommended this book awhile back. Overall I would give
 it 4+ stars out of 5.
It keep me interested and looking forward to reading it when I got home after work. I would definitely recommended it if you enjoy these type of end of world books.  It is more along the lines of the recent book One Second After, which is definitely worth reading. 

Earth Abides doesn't have the supernatural aspect or good vs. evil as far as a Stephen King type novel The Stand.

I found it to be fairly entertaining and well worth the time spent reading.






8 comments:

  1. Check out "Alas, Babylon." Its an old publication, but should be available at the library, in used book stores or via Amazon.com.

    MAJ Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great old book I first read in the 1970's. King used it as reference material when he was writing The Stand. In King's list of influential novels that he included in his Danse Macabre non-fiction book, Earth Abides was one of the books listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob, Thanks for the info, I noticed you were reading Zombie Island.. I bought that one too.

      Have you read World War Z? or Day by Day Armeggedon One and Two? Those three were GREAT!

      Delete
  3. I read "Alas Babylon" in high-school, and just got another copy from Amazon.
    It was also a "Playhouse 90" episode back in the 60's.
    "One Second After" is equally good, along with "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing, and "A Distant Eden" by Lloyd Tackitt.
    I'll look for a copy of "Earth Abides"......

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you liked Earth Abides you might try to find a copy of The Last Canadian by William C Heine. Or even darker on the disaster scale, The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Or community based survival tales like Lights Out by David Crawford, Patriots by Rawles, and a whole list of others. I'm always looking for something good within the post-apocalyptic fiction genre that doesn't involve space/time travel or aliens that resemble elephants...although all do add interesting twists.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...