
I grew up seeing her on the Porter Wagoner Show, etc. before she was famous. I liked s few of her early songs, not so much afterwards. She was a very talented person, but I thought her and Kenny Rogers had conspired in a plot to destroy country music back in the day. I admired Dolly's fortitude. She was born into a very poor family in Appalachia and achieved much. She was benevolent and supported many causes. She was also an advocate for taking the COVID vaccination, writing a jingle to the tune of "Jolene" promoting taking the vax. I'm not implying that is what got her, just stating a fact. She made some films, but like Elvis, she was a better singer than an actor IMHO. She was/is a "fixture" of Americana that will not be forgotten anytime soon.
I grew up seeing her on the Porter Wagoner Show, etc. before she was famous. I liked s few of her early songs, not so much afterwards. She was a very talented person, but I thought her and Kenny Rogers had conspired in a plot to destroy country music back in the day. I admired Dolly's fortitude. She was born into a very poor family in Appalachia and achieved much. She was benevolent and supported many causes. She was also an advocate for taking the COVID vaccination, writing a jingle to the tune of "Jolene" promoting taking the vax. I'm not implying that is what got her, just stating a fact. She made some films, but like Elvis, she was a better singer than an actor IMHO. She was/is a "fixture" of Americana that will not be forgotten anytime soon.
Grand Ol' Lady of the Grand Ol' Oprey.
ReplyDeleteShe WILL be missed.
Her philanthropy is what has endeared her to many, but part of that was to donate $1 million to the development of the jab. If she knew how much death, injury and long term health effects that experimental genetic modification shot has caused, she would have sung another tune. Loved her in Steel Magnolias & her quick wit in her interviews.
ReplyDeleteI believe that like a great many of us she was lied to and misled about covid.
DeleteShe made one film I like, Steel Magnolias, and it is a good film because of the ensemble. The role she play in that film is perfect for her.
ReplyDeleteHer story is inspiring and her achievements laudable. She manufactured a career path and used a character that emerged to her advantage; the resulting success modified the genre such that it bypassed the tastes of roots enthusiasts, like me, but her influence and talent cannot be denied. Coat of Many Colors is a tender tribute to her origins and remains a favorite.
ReplyDeleteRest in peace.
Her version of Stairway to Heaven is pretty tasty.
ReplyDeleteIf the jab did get her, another reason to burn The Fouch at the stake, as if more were needed.
Staked out on a fire ant hill would be more just and slower.
DeleteWhen half of Gatlinburg area burned, she personally paid the salaries of many of the local residents until the businesses could rebuild.
ReplyDeleteI liked the early Dolly on Porter Wagoner also. She seemed very genuine. I never really cared for her music however.
ReplyDeleteModern country music is the putrefying corpse of what was once Country music.
As opined by Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon:
Any fool can wear a hat
And not move when they play
But the lonesome howl of the white trash wolf
Can't be heard today
Burn burn the fake cowboys
The Vegas showbiz shit
Burn burn Branson too
Sold your soul for a hit
Let's go burn ole Nashville down
Burn it to the ground
Let's go burn ole Nashville down
Save that country sound
Burn burn soulless swine
Crossover idiot pukes
Burn burn lyin' cheaters
Country don't have flutes
Here's a really crappy video of Uncle Ted and Dolly on the Mike Douglas show in 1980
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0hEz4ON0cg
45bpcr
Big supporter of sodomite 'marriages' too. I'll prefer to remember her better side as much as I can.
ReplyDeleteShe fell for the lies and deceit about the vaccine. I don’t believe there was a malicious bone in her body.
ReplyDeleteShe was a jab pusher, big-time. My flag won't be lowered for her.
ReplyDeletePorter Wagner is happy now. RIP
ReplyDeleteGodspeed to her.
ReplyDeleteCute kid with a fireball of a good attitude. Can't help but Love Dolly.
ReplyDeleteRegardless of her politics...she had a big heart, and didnt mind using her good fortune to help folks in need. This world
ReplyDeletecould use more of her kind. With that aside...where can i get one of those Porter Wagoner suits. To the nines or what !