Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Widener's Headed Out To The Range With NASCAR Cup Series Driver Chad Finchum...

 Jacob sends:

  Hi Irishman,

We recently headed out to the range with NASCAR Cup Series driver Chad Finchum. Our goal was to put together a detailed guide on armor-piercing ammunition that covers the differences between standard .308 Winchester and true AP rounds, how AP projectiles actually work, current legal considerations, and real-world body armor testing with NIJ-certified armor.

I thought it might make a useful reference for you or a resource for your readers. You can read the full article at the link below: 

https://www.wideners.com/blog/armor-piercing-rounds/

Or, you can watch and share the full video at this link: 

https://youtu.be/gq1plSkLe3Y

Either way, I always enjoy your content and appreciate the work you put into it.

Thanks for taking a look, and keep up the great work!

Best,

Jacob Long
Widener's Shooting, Hunting & Gun Blog
https://www.wideners.com/blog/

3 comments:

  1. Decades ago, I bought some 30.06 Korean war (WWII?) AP ammo from a local surplus store. I was able to acquire 5, 8x8 inch 1/2 inch steel plates that were discarded from a job site build. I built a box that held the plates a half inch apart. I shot several rounds at it from My modified Mauser sporting rifle @ ~30 yards. They all penetrated the first three plates and stuck in the 4th. one.
    Brutal recoil. and then before TSHTF, I acquired 80 more rounds. Which I covet.
    Mess with me, and body armor won't work. But I don't do anything wrong, so I don't expect issues.
    I pray that I will die peacefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1961, at the ripe old age of 9yo, I ordered a Springfield M1913 off an advert in the back of some magazine about Afrika.
      .
      I seem to remember I paid about $11 for it, including shipping.
      .
      Aunt Mary Jane and I met the mail lady at the mailbox at the end of the driveway, and that was that.
      .
      Back at the house, Aunt Jane unscrewed the cover off a standard duplex electric outlet -- their home had several such dummies -- and extracted a couple boxes of Ought-Six.
      .
      After my first experience on the trigger, we set a pillow between me and the cannon to moderate the recoil.
      .
      Those were good times.

      Delete
  2. The recoil was the same as any 30-06. You just aren't very robust

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...