Sunday, April 22, 2018

What are some of your favorite WW2 films?

I stumbled across this clip looking for "Jeannie" material. Don't ask me what the two have in common. That is just how YouTube works. Most of us here have gone down that rabbit hole. You can be searching for a video showing how to replace a washing machine motor one minute and two hours later you might be watching "Today's Health Tip For Sore Assholes". I saw that one over at Chief Nosewetter's the other day.  Anyhow, I came across this and thought I would post it. I will have to say that this intro for the Sam Peckinpah 1977  Cross of Iron  is the strongest introductions for WW2 films ever in my opinion. 

Cross of Iron is one of several WW2 flicks that I enjoy watching now and again. I am not sure I have a favorite. I like the old standbys no matter how hokey the uniforms, haircuts, storylines, historical accuracy, etc. These are among some of my favorites; Where Eagles Dare, The Dirty Dozen, Patton, Bridge Over the River Kwai, The Devil's Brigade, Force 10 From Navarone, The Eagle Has Landed, A Bridge to Far, etc. One of the most authentic and one of my favorite WW2 films is Stalingrad (1990). The equipment, uniforms, haircuts, etc. are spot on and the story is very plausible for that battle. Unlike some American films where the hero or cavalry arrives in the nick of time to save the day, this film ends tragically (much like the real battle ended for app. 2,000,000 souls). Saving Private Ryan ranks up there too. The battle scenes are very realistic (especially the Omaha Beach landing). I still have trouble with the haircuts of the German soldiers though. The German soldiers in the film look more like U.S. Marines in boot camp more than German soldiers of that time. The story behind the haircuts is that this fact was pointed out to Stephen Speilberg during casting, etc. He acknowledged that the cuts were not correct, but insisted on portraying the Germans as "skinheads". It seems everybody has an agenda these days. Of course, I like some of he old B&W films made shortly after the war (too many to list). I also like some of the foreign films both old and new. Two of those that come to mind are Into The White and As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me. I'd be interested in hearing what some of your favorite WW2 films are. 

32 comments:

  1. Glad you mentioned 'Where Eagles Dare' as it's up there for me. How about 'Guns of Navarone', 'The longest Day', 'Bridge at Remagen' ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Phil. Those are three I really like, but forgot to mention. I am sure they'll be more. Turkey season has taken a toll on my brain this year. LOL

      Delete
  2. 'In Harm's Way' has always been my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say that film, but you beat me to it. So let me just chime in with a "Hells yeah!"

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That is one of my all time favorites and in my wife's "top five" of all time favorite films. Both Stalingrad and Das Boot were Wolfgang Petersen films and both are really long movies. Das Boot was first released as a "mini*series" in Germany in 1981. Thanks pdw

      Delete
  4. In Harm's Way, The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly's Hero's and Patton. I am a Clint Eastwood fan. Almost everything he has done I have liked. Patton, "nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum. Kelly's Heroes is my guilty pleasure though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Enemy Below, Twelve 'O Clock High, The Purple Plain, Run Silent Run Deep, etc, etc, etc.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. '12 O' Clock High'. Then again, my dad was a B-17 pilot and flew 35 combat missions over Europe with this group--

    http://www.447bg.com/

    Certainly 'Band of Brothers' although that probably qualifies more as a documentary.
    Also, 'A Walk in the Sun' and 'The Young Lions'.
    Post WWII--'The Best Years of Our Lives'.



    ReplyDelete
  9. Fury, Enemy at the Gates, Casa Blanca, A midnight Clear, Battle of Britain, 30 seconds Over Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pride of the Marines, william Holden played a pow in a German pow camp, cant remember the name of the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Stalag 17", another one of my favorites.'

      George Segal was very good in "King Rat", another POW movie.

      Delete
  11. Many of the above, plus The Great Escape, Midway, Guadalcanal Diary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twelve O'Clock High is my favorite. Does From Here to Eternity count. It's mostly prewar. Then there is Midway and The Sands of Iowa Jima. I've all the ones mentioned above, and they're all good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another thought. You should include WW I. Dawn Patrol, All Quiet on the Western Front (the original not the remake), Lost Battalion and the spectacular Hell's Angels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that soon sykes.1. That one is easy for me, Sergeant York. The original All Quiet on the Western Front is a close second.

      Delete
  14. add Sahara and Sole Survivor to the above

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
    The Sands of Iwo Jima

    ReplyDelete
  16. Battleground, 1949, Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Ricardo Montalban, George Murphy.
    Excellent depiction of the Battle of the Bulge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are sure right about the intro to Cross of Iron. Everything is there, all the tragedy, hope and stupidity of it all. It is a fine film.

    The Americanization of Emily and Paths of Glory are two films to add. Breaker Morant is another. Stalingrad and Das Boot already mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaker Morant, one of the best movies I've seen about S Africa and the Boer War.

      Delete
  18. the 101st Ab in Vietnam- Hamburger Hill, PLatoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and special mention Gardens of Stone, read the book and then see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Tora Tora Tora" and although not a combat movie "Casablanca" especially when the patrons sing the "Marsellaise".

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Downfall" was a German production about the last days in the Furher Bunker. Subtitled in English, it is still a compelling work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Go Tell The Spartans" wth Burt Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of those are great movies. Some of them I own while others I have not see (nor ever) in years. Thanks to everyone who contributed and stopped by. By the way, "Downfall" is a very good film Bayouwolf. I had just finished Hugh Trevor Roper's book "The Last Days of Hitler" by Hugh Trevor-Roper. The book written in 1946, was a a primary reference for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kelly's heroes is a personal fav, and I can't believe Midway us not mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A late suggestion for you is Ice Cold In Alex, a late 50s Pommy film about the desert war in Libya, stars John Mills, Anthony Quayle and Sylvia Syms. Great acting, and I picked up a useful tip for negotiating extremely rough terrain when horsepower alone is not an answer.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...