During heavy rains and the springtime thaw, we always get water that flows into the garage from the back wall area. A couple weeks ago we got over 2 inches of rain and the water was flowing pretty good. Broom, squeegee, repeat.
What better time to find the source I guess. So I commenced to pulling the wallboard down over in the back right corner of the garage and was greeted with this:
At that point I turned to the band leader and asked him to keep playing to help calm the passengers.
Now comes the interesting part. When the previous owner had the garage addition put on the house, the contractor so nicely poured the concrete walls in a horseshoe shape up against the original foundation. There is no access to the area I need to get to. I can fit part way over and with a flashlight I can see about a foot of water pooled against the back of the wall. The water table is high here and we have a couple sump pumps in other areas so it's not surprising.
These floor joists are the TV room that is partly above the garage. I had to notch them so I could wedge over the wall to the other side.
Here's a visual approximation of said "wedging"
Once on the other side I put in a temporary sump pump set up and realized there was a huge boulder in the corner where the crack is allowing the flooding
Now comes the power tools and some manual labor.
Sadly, dynamite was out right banned when I asked the Führer if I could blast.
My Nemesis is wedged in the corner where I need to work, Oh lucky me!
Some hole drilling and wedges started to split the top. New Hampshire is called the granite state for a good reason. This shit was tough.
Before burning out 2 Bosch hammer drill bits I was able to downsize the boulder enough that I could roll the smaller chunks up and out of the way.
This remaining piece was way to heavy. I tried prying it with my shovel but decided not to break the handle. Instead, I trenched out behind it and under it enough that a could roll it backward into the pocket I created in the dirt berm.
I was thinking about bolting an eyebolt to the joists and using a couple straps and come-along to drag it up and out of the way.
After some daydreaming about what could go wrong if the straps slipped:
I decided to leave it , for now.
The corner is cleaned out and I trenched deeper so the sump pump will keep the water level below flood stage.