With that pendulum action how does it keep the cut level? Does the cutter move up and down in response to the pendulum? Regardless, that is one of the coolest machines I have ever seen.
Sure beats using a hammer and chisel to make the mortise. Probably requires a little clean up at the end to level the bottom and square the corners, but a lot less work overall. Great find, now where can I find one?
I'm NOT picking on you TN, but it's amazing what you can find by an Internet Search. It took longer to format the return above into something readable, when using the search term Champion Mortiser, than it did for the search, which took about a second. A further search on the company name and city reveals that this company only existed from 1908 to 1927, according to the return I got.
You can dig deeper from the info provided if you're so inclined.
With that pendulum action how does it keep the cut level? Does the cutter move up and down in response to the pendulum? Regardless, that is one of the coolest machines I have ever seen.
ReplyDeleteSure beats using a hammer and chisel to make the mortise. Probably requires a little clean up at the end to level the bottom and square the corners, but a lot less work overall. Great find, now where can I find one?
ReplyDeleteThat IS an amazing gadget.
DeleteThis is one of the returns I got when using Champion Mortiser as an internet search term.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://archive.org/details/ColganMachAndSupplyCo1925
The Champion Mortiser was later made by Colgan Machine & Supply Co., also of Columbus, Ohio.
Added date 2019-03-23 17:00:59
Collection_added catalogs Identifier JLeukartCo1913
Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t4fn8qt1f
Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
Ppi 600 Scanner Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.4 year1913
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm NOT picking on you TN, but it's amazing what you can find by an Internet Search. It took longer to format the return above into something readable, when using the search term Champion Mortiser, than it did for the search, which took about a second. A further search on the company name and city reveals that this company only existed from 1908 to 1927, according to the return I got.
You can dig deeper from the info provided if you're so inclined.
Nemo