If we fell, we learned to get up, suck it up, and get going again. I grew up on a ranch. Suffered three concussions before I reached high school (one from livestock). I claim no lasting i-i-i-ill effects, although there are still a few around who would argue that.
On my Parochial grade school's parking lot playground, for 3 seasons a year, the similarly aged boys played "Kill the man with the ball." I don't recall ANY rules.
I remember home made popcorn balls and cookies from neighbors for halloween. I also remember when that so in so put cyanide in the tylenol bottle and now, here we are.
saw some horrific injuries first hand, lived in the rural area and everyone was shooting a 22, launching arrows straight up and then losing sight of them on the way down, some near misses, nails in boards that were "hiding in the tall grass", foot in a bucket of hot water for hours at a time, barbed wire, tree house swings that were 20 foot off the ground, bb gun fights without eye protection. All that and still did not get drafted, any of us.
bad part was when a lot of those kids grew up and got into power they made sure no kid would ever have a life like that. flooding the country with non whites was the start
We lived about a 20-minute bike ride to the everglades! We would catch small gators and bring them and also snakes to show mom and dad! We would let all the critters we caught let go in the lake behind or house! As we got older, we did see big gators in the lake and sunbathing in peoples in backyards ! Back then the gaters we more scared of us kids than anything else!! Great times!!
Good times...
ReplyDeleteI could cry. I want it back.
ReplyDeleteWayback? Seems like yesterday.
ReplyDeleteIf only we had known how good we had it.
ReplyDeleteIf we fell, we learned to get up, suck it up, and get going again. I grew up on a ranch. Suffered three concussions before I reached high school (one from livestock). I claim no lasting i-i-i-ill effects, although there are still a few around who would argue that.
ReplyDeleteOn my Parochial grade school's parking lot playground, for 3 seasons a year, the similarly aged boys played "Kill the man with the ball." I don't recall ANY rules.
ReplyDeleteWe called that game "smear the queer" or, when teachers were around, "murder ball".
DeleteThere were no rules, we called it tackle the man with the ball. It decided the pecking order in the early days.
Deletesmear the queer, we didn't even know what gay was.
DeleteYea, that's over.
ReplyDeleteHeltau
I grew up as a feral latch key kid/teen in the 70's,living on a river added to troublesome adventures!
ReplyDeleteThere was always something to eat in the home and soap for the laundry,had the basics covered!
Mercurochrome; the Firey Red Spit of Satan! Mom's go-to treatment for any injury short of decapitation!
ReplyDeletei know it's been stated too many times but, it was a hell of a lot better to have been 20 in the 70's than now being 70 in the 20's.
ReplyDeleteI remember home made popcorn balls and cookies from neighbors for halloween. I also remember when that so in so put cyanide in the tylenol bottle and now, here we are.
ReplyDeleteYes, of course, there were accidents, molestations, and other tragedies, but somehow society was not a festering mass of anxiety it is today.
ReplyDeletesaw some horrific injuries first hand, lived in the rural area and everyone was shooting a 22, launching arrows straight up and then losing sight of them on the way down, some near misses, nails in boards that were "hiding in the tall grass", foot in a bucket of hot water for hours at a time, barbed wire, tree house swings that were 20 foot off the ground, bb gun fights without eye protection. All that and still did not get drafted, any of us.
ReplyDeleteAfter the end of the video, I kept watching.
ReplyDeleteHoping for more.
bad part was when a lot of those kids grew up and got into power they made sure no kid would ever have a life like that. flooding the country with non whites was the start
ReplyDeleteWe lived about a 20-minute bike ride to the everglades! We would catch small gators and bring them and also snakes to show mom and dad! We would let all the critters we caught let go in the lake behind or house! As we got older, we did see big gators in the lake and sunbathing in peoples in backyards ! Back then the gaters we more scared of us kids than anything else!! Great times!!
ReplyDelete