Wednesday, April 11, 2012

They say silence is golden....for a Maximum of 45 minutes....

They say silence is golden – but there’s a room in the U.S that’s so quiet it becomes unbearable after a short time.
The longest that anyone has survived in the ‘anechoic chamber’ at Orfield Laboratories in South Minneapolis is just 45 minutes.
It’s 99.99 per cent sound absorbent and holds the Guinness World Record for the world’s quietest place, but stay there too long and you may start hallucinating.

Click the pic for the link:


3 comments:

  1. I've been in one. Not in the dark, mind you, but the lighting is never any good.

    Can't say I tried to stay in there for any amount of time. I'm sure I was in one for a half hour at least with a light and working on equipment.

    I'm insane, but I'm not going to blame the room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in RF anechoic chambers, and although they're not as acoustically as quiet, they're still pretty damn quiet. Like down to below the 'noise floor' of your ears.
    It gets spooky in there after a while....

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool, hallucinations without the brain damaging chemicals?
    screw the hash bars in Amsterdam, oxygen bars in Tokyo and the oh so salty sensory deprivation tanks, I think I've found my next line of bidness.
    er..uh...I'm not saying I've ever been to any of those or invested in such...as far as you know.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...