Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Pearl is Made up of Calcium Carbonate ....

A pearl is a hard object produced within the soft tissue (specifically the mantle) of a living shelled mollusk. Just like the shell of a mollusk, a pearl is made up of calcium carbonate in minute crystalline form, which has been deposited in concentric layers. The ideal pearl is perfectly round and smooth, but many other shapes of pearls (baroque pearls) occur. The finest quality natural pearls have been highly valued as gemstones and objects of beauty for many centuries, and because of this, the word pearl has become a metaphor for something very rare, fine, admirable, and valuable.


Here is an example of one being used as a necklace:


8 comments:

  1. Pearls...I like both of them.

    I thought there were three, I guess I need new glasses......

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a pearl in that picture, you gotta be kidding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere in this picture is a necklace. See if you can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank her for pointing things out.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...