Sunday, November 13, 2011

I Got a Little Misty...

I might have a tough exterior but I'm just a big teddy bear inside, and I think
there was some dust in the air.....


Okay,

I stopped at the gas station this morning on the way to the shop. As pulled in I noticed an older gentleman and young girl about 4-5 years old on the opposite side of the pump. They were both dressed nice maybe coming from church or going to a Sunday family dinner. I exited my truck and was going thru the motions of credit card swipe, key in the zipcode, answer receipt questions and chose the grade of gas. The whole time I was doing this the gentleman, on the opposite side of the pump was meticulously explaining each step to his, I guessed, granddaughter.


I couldn't see them due to the pump configuration but they were only 3-4 feet away. He slowly talked her thru each step of the process and let her do them to the best of her ability.


"This is how you open the gas door."
"This is how you remove the gas cap."
"This is where you put the credit card"
"See the screen we have to enter the zip code. Put in the numbers."
"Now it asks if we want a receipt. No."
"Now it says to lift the nozzle and put it in the filler. Here I'll Help."
"Now we have to chose the kind of gas by pushing this button."


He was very slow and methodical and she was acknowledging him and being very attentive.


Then I hear " Can we see the water?"   ( I smiled)


"No honey it's not water, it's gas and you can't see it"
"Here you hold the nozzle as long as you can so you can see what it takes"


A little voice "Okay"


At this point I had a vision in my mind of a fellow blogger that I read, and his granddaughter.
I have only been to his site recently but when he writes of "Little Bit" the scenario that 
played out before me made me think of "Stephen". Go read about Stephen and his granddaughter
you won't be disappointed.


It's nice how people sharing themselves on the blogs allow us to have  a perception of that person.

Now mind you this was only a 5-7 minute crossing of paths at a gas station with this gentleman and his granddaugher and I don't usually talk to others as a habit. 

I finished up the fueling and poke my head around the corner and said to the gentleman


"I just wanted to let you know how nice it was to hear you take the time and patience to teach your
granddaughter, I 'm guessing...."
"yes" he replied
"... to be self sufficient"  smiling

"Thank you" he said with a big smile.



I then asked the little girl her name.


"Lauren" she was shy


"Well Lauren, you are very lucky to have a grandfather that cares enough about you enough to teach you to be self sufficient and someday when you have your own car you won't need to rely on anyone"


"Thank you" she smiled


I turned back the the gentleman and said "It was very nice to see that today I hope you have a great day!"


"Thank you, you as well"  smiling..


It was a very nice random encounter that made me smile.

I hope you all have a GREAT Sunday!!

1 comment:

  1. John, I at a loss for words. Thank you very much...ah hell, now I've dust in my eyes...bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...